Saturday, June 06, 2009

Wolfram|Alpha

A few years ago I used Mathematica as an easy way to graph functions and simplify expressions. Then I became fan of MatLab and now I do almost everything there. However, Wolfram (the company that sells Mathematica) has a sort of encyclopedia of math stuff that is pretty good.

But now Wolfram created a new website that is a quick resource of data and a computational tool. The website is Wolfram|Alpha.

To illustrate what it can do I will show some examples.

Go and visit Wolfram|Alpha now and play with it. Let me know if you find cool stuff.

5 comments:

Aura said...

Nice!

Here some of my tries:

- I wrote my birthday: I got some data about that day like the phase of the moon, sunrise and sunset time and duration of daylight in Morelia. Now I know I was born during the third quarter moon.

-I wrote some diseases: "Tuberculosis", "Dengue", "AIDS", and I got mortality data for Mexico. There is also an option for getting definitions.

-I wrote "Teriyaki" and I got nutrition facts about it and physical properties (YES, PHYSICAL PROPERTIES OF TERIYAKI SAUCE). Definition is also avaible. It didn't work the same for "guacamole".

-Finally, I wrote "Double Helix", just to see if it will asociate the term with DNA or the book. Well, I got the data of THE MOVIE, which is based on the book and that I did not know it even exist. Wow. Any way, there isn't any other option.

It is nice to see how it associate words with their context. However, general terms searches still will be for google. My brother is an engineer undergrad, maybe he will find more curious examples. Nice porno-post.

(ahí me perdonas los errores gramaticales)

Anonymous said...

¿Te metiste a mi blog hace una hora?

LULZ

Mario Samano said...

Aura: i tried "rice" as a food, "chicken" as a food and i got information on daily values of nutrients of those things.

Lluvia: no. por?

Hugo Carlos said...

ohhhh

Google debería comprar WolframAlpha, ese es el Plot que yo decía le hacía falta a Google!!!!

Hugo Carlos said...

Ohhh

Sabías que entre la gente de US que tiene 20 años hay más Hugos que Carlos? Pero en general hay 10 veces más Carlos que Hugos?

Qué interesante tu WolframAlpha!!!